Thursday 24 July 2014

How To: Ombre Hair

The lighting is slightly different in each photo but the upper hair of the hair on the right is the same colour as the hair the right, I didn't dye that too.
So I finally decided to bite the bullet and ombre my hair (again!). Some of you may  not know that I used to have ombre hair for about a year but I cut it all out about half a year ago for a slight change. I've missed the dimension and texture the ombre look gives to my hair and I'm so happy that I have done it again.

Firstly I want to stress that I'm not a hair dresser/ expert at all I just find from the 3 other times I have done this that this technique has worked for me! Also I am doing this on un-dyed/ 'virgin' hair, The results may be very different on dyed hair.


 What you will need:
♡ Bleach - I have tried to go lighter before without bleach and it just doesn't even make the slightest difference so this is essential. The bleach I am using is 'Bblonde Maximum Lift'
♡ A Hair Brush - My hair brush of choice is a tangle teaser. You need to thoroughly brush your hair so it's easier to work with and section off.
♡ Sectioning Clips - These are so useful weather you use clips or maybe even hair ties, sectioning hair makes it so much easier to work with.
♡ Foil and Scissors - These are optional but I like to wrap foil around the section of hair I have finished to separate it from the rest of the hair, make sure it doesn't transfer onto parts you don't want it on and also it locks heat in which makes the bleach preform faster.

Please excuse my dirty mirror!
The first step is to whack on some funky old clothes that you don't mind getting ruined (like you can see I have demonstrated above with my Happy Gilmore tee). I don't want to go ruining my 'nice' clothes with bleach stains and I'm sure you don't want to either!


Then (if you're planning to use foil) cut lots of strips about one inch wide. It's best to cut more than you think you will need because you don't want to be half way through the process to find that you haven't cut enough!


Don't be alarmed by the purple colour it is supposed to go like that and wont actually make your hair go purple!!
This is the moment where you get to feel like a little scientist and mix everything together (but please read the instructions your bleach comes with or this could go cray)


Ok so for the actual application i like to firstly take a small section of hair and place it on the foil ready for the bleach making sure there are no knots and tangles.


(Excuse the weird angle it is just very difficult to apply bleach with one hand) Then I like to coat the tips of the hair pretty heavily with the bleach making sure it's got every strand


And as I work my way up my hair I like to use a stippling/ dabbing technique with the remaining of what's left on the brush to give it a gradual effect and not just a block of colour - The sectioning also helps to create a more natural look as every section will be slightly different. And then fold the bottom of the foil over to cover the bleach and scrunch it a little so the foil doesn't fall out.


 Now you get to wait whilst looking super cool with foils in you hair. I let my bleach develop for around 25 minuets.

Then it's finally time to take the foils out and wash all the bleach out of you hair and take a look at the final result!


I really like how mine has come out because I think it looks really natural but still noticeable. I didn't want it to go too far up my hair as I always worry it could go terribly so I'm prone to only doing a small bit so I could cut it off if it went crazy but I'm tempted to maybe going a little higher next time? 

I'll speak to you all soon,
Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment