Tuesday 17 June 2014

Class of 2009 - 2014 ♡

I would like to firstly like to mention this will probably be a deep and soppy post, you have been warned...
So on Friday 13th June 2014 (lucky date I know) I LEFT SECONDARY SCHOOL!
I cropped the other people out of the photo - not to be obnoxious and be like 'LOOK AT ME ON MY LAST DAY AT SCHOOL!! but I wasn't sure if they would be ok with being on my blog, sorry! I just had to mention that ♡
The idea of leaving school is still completely overwhelming to me since I had been there from 11 - 16 years old, and I don't even know where to begin with this blog post there are so many things I want to say. 
Ok, so after pondering a little bit the first thing I wanted to discuss is the incredible friendships I have formed and I am so so grateful for having such amazing people in my life right now. I'm not going to lie, year 7 was the worst year of my schooling life. Despite having a small close group of friends (of which some are still my very bestest friends) I was bullied for no reason at all (not that bulling should require a reason, it shouldn't happen at all) which I wont go into, but this resulted in me going into a shell and feeling like I couldn't be myself around most people, even my friends. But then a year or so later I decided standing up for myself and not being afraid to be the person I actually am is the only way forward if I wanted to be happy - and I have not looked back in regret since making that decision. From the end of year 8 and onwards I have stuck with the most amazing friends anyone could ever ask for and I love absolutely every single one of them with all my heart and I hope we never lose contact (being cheesy is what I do best). They have helped me through some of the toughest times in my life that no one should ever experience and we have all shared hilarious and happy memories. My friends are the reason I will miss school insane amounts because not seeing them every day is already so difficult! Trust me there have been many tears shed.
And this may come as a bit of a shock but some of the teachers at my school is a main factor as to why I will miss it so much. I went through about 4 years of school having a few 'nice' teachers and a few I didn't particularly like. But when I came to the end of my time there I realised a most of them were some of the kindest/ most inspiring people I have ever met which completely shocked me. I would have lessons where teachers would moan and complain in the class, even occasional making seating plans and handing out detentions (not so fun, fun fact - I went through school getting a total of 0 detentions and I don't know if that makes me  'bad-ass' or just a bit boring?!). But I realised for the most part they only do this because they want you to do well  because they are responsible for your future and they want to make it the best they can for everyone. Although contraindicating myself here there were one or two teachers that definitely didn't care and I will not miss ;) From my experience if you genuinely think a teacher is doing something wrong you go out there and tell them, You cannot be or at least shouldn't get in trouble for standing up for yourself if you truly believe you are right. 'pick your battles' is a key thing I learnt.
Of course recently I have finished my GCSE's. I have no idea how I have done which is the scariest part but the most important thing you can think (and I also think this could apply to lots of different situations) is that even if you have or have not done the best you can in the build up. as long as in the moment you try the best you can  that is all that matters and you should be proud regardless.
At school I got involved in quite a few things but the main thing that I feel like has shaped my future in some way was becoming a 'student supporter' which basically means sitting down with students to talk about their problems and help make them feel better. The training I had by the Samaritans to help me be able to take part in this role made me realise I am so passionate about wanting the help people which could potentially be a career option?!? But the point I am trying to get across is take all the opportunities you can because it could inspire you to find out where you want your future to go. 
When people say 'your school years are the best years of your life' for me I can luckily completely agree, despite the low points I would never change anything because it has all made me the person I am today. I've learnt that it is ok to make the same mistakes over and over, as longs as you stay grounded and try the best you can. I wish everyone who is soon to be leaving school the best luck ever!

I'll speak to you all soon,
Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment